Monday, March 19, 2007

Actress Michelle Ryan says she's heading straight to Hollywood.

Actress Michelle Ryan says she's heading straight to Hollywood.

By Kasie Davies

She's best remembered for her role as Zoe Slater in EastEnders, but Michelle Ryan admits that things could have been very different if it wasn't for some careful choices. The 22 year old estimates that she has turned down £1m to appear in a host of reality TV shows over the years - and now her decision to stick with acting is about to pay off.

"I've turned down so many offers for reality shows, I could have made a small fortune by now if I had done them," she reveals. "If you want to do that, then I say go for it, because it can set you up for life. But it's not about having money in the bank for me.

"I just want to do good work and move on from EastEnders. Some people would be very comfortable with that kind of work, but if I was doing auditions and reality stuff, it would be too much to focus on.

"I'm doing what's right for me and sticking with the acting."

Michelle admits her time at EastEnders left her feeling fragile. In 2002 she had time away from the soap after suffering a breakdown - at one point it was reported that she was thinking of taking her own life.

"When I left EastEnders my confidence was low," she admits. "I was exhausted and very down, but I never thought of suicide. I look back on the show with affection now, but I'm glad I moved on when I did. In five years, Zoe went through a lot. I still get letters about the storyline when she discovered Kat was her mum.

"I was so lucky getting a job straight from school where I learned so much. I made some fantastic friends. I'm still in touch with Kacey (Ainsworth, Little Mo), Tracy-Ann (Oberman, Chrissie Watts), Jill (Halfpenny, Kate Mitchell) and Charlie (Brooks, Janine Evans). We talk all the time.

"I was a bit anxious about leaving but there were lots of offers coming in so I knew I was making the right decision.

"I was nervous about working with older actors in EastEnders, but now I feel I can hold my own."

Michelle's latest role, in the ITV1 adaptation of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, is much more her style. She plays Maria - a society beauty who causes a scandal by leaving her husband after falling in love with another man.

"Maria's a minx and a flirt, but she also has a vulnerable side and is quite innocent," says Michelle.

"In those days, it was essential that women married well. Maria has a fling with Henry, who's a cad, then ends up marrying a rich man, Rushworth, for the lifestyle. But she brings shame on her family when she takes off with Henry again."

Michelle's co-star in the drama is Billie Piper and the pair became firm friends.

"It was a young cast," Michelle says. "Billie is lovely and charismatic and all the boys were gorgeous."

As well as Mansfield Park, Michelle recently completed Jekyll for BBC1 with James Nesbitt, about Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

"I play a psychiatrist. I borrowed a suit for my interview so they could see I could play someone older," says Michelle. "Things are going so brilliantly, I treasure every day."

Perhaps the biggest break of all has been landing the role of Jamie Sommers in the remake of the Seventies hit The Bionic Woman. If it's successful, Michelle will become a big star in America.

"I still can't believe all this is happening to me. As soon as news got out, Shane Richie and other old mates from EastEnders sent me congratulatory texts," Michelle admits. "I'm very excited - I'm still pinching myself."

Michelle was picked from thousands of other actresses to play the crime-fighting sex symbol.

"Hopefully it won't be too much of a stretch for me," she admits. "I'll have to learn martial arts and I did an American accent at the audition - but I'm not sure what I'll do for the first show."

If bosses like the pilot, which is being filmed this month in Canada, the young Brit will sign up for an entire series. As Michelle admits, it's a far cry from her days selling Puffa jackets on Albert Square.

But breaking into the US has brought about other changes. Michelle recently split with her fiancé, Tommy Williams, 27, a semi-professional footballer, after almost four years together. And North London-based Michelle admits she has no plans to give it all up for married life and a family yet.

"I have moments where I think, 'Oh, I want to get married and have kids' - and I definitely will one day - but I'm happy to leave it until I'm about 30," she reveals with a smile.

"Lots of my friends are having kids and I can see it's hard work. I'll happily change nappies, bathe and feed them, but toddlers need so much input. I want that, but not just yet. I'm having too much fun working right now."

Michelle missed out on a Hollywood movie because it clashed with her final scenes in EastEnders, but has since starred in Cashback and I Want Candy, currently on general release.

"I've worked non-stop since leaving," she says. "I played my first lead in I Want Candy with Mackenzie Crook and Carmen Electra. It had a great vibe about it and I hope people like it.

"Everyone is saying the next year is going to be good for me - hopefully it will be."Publish

No comments: